Eunice Power’s Lamb and Chickpeas Tagine Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 650g boneless shoulder of lamb
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- A Pinch of Chilli flakes
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- Ground salt & pepper
- 3 medium onions chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled & crushed
- ½ tbsp plain flour
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- ¼ pint chicken stock
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh coriander, reserve stalks
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh parsley, reserve stalks
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 150g chopped ready to eat apricots
- A drizzle of honey
- Rind of half an orange
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- coriander leaves to garnish
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Cut the lamb into 4 cm cubes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy based casserole and brown the lamb in batches, using more oil if necessary. Add the garlic and onions and stir over the heat for 5 minutes, add the spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Return lamb to the casserole. Stir in flour and chopped tomatoes, stock, bayleaf, parsley and coriander stalks and cinnamon stick. Season with salt and pepper. Bring back to the boil, cover and cook at 160°C fan oven 1¼ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Discard cinnamon, parsley / coriander stalks and bay leaf. Add apricots, chopped herbs, honey, chickpeas and return to oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with couscous.
Recipe Courtesy of Eunice Power www.eunicepower.com